Associated Retired Aviation Professionals


August 22, 2000
The government so fears that the truth will come out about what brought down
TWA Flight 800 four years and a month ago that it literally carried Accuracy
in Media's 78-year-old chairman out of the building where the final hearings
into the crash are going on.

AIM Chairman Reed Irvine was in the building at L'enfant Plaza near the
nation's capitol building this morning to distribute a full-page
advertisement that had run for several previous days in The Washington Times. 
He was in the lobby, handing copies to those entering the auditorium.

The ad was placed by an association of eyewitnesses to the crash. They say
they plainly saw missiles flying up, exploding in white lights of high
explosive ordinance, followed by the orange flames of the airplane and its
jet fuel as they exploded and fell to the sea. They say that the government
has ignored, twisted, and misrepresented the information they have given.
They have noted that in a criminal trial, the word of just a few
eyewitnesses is enough to convict, but here the government has totally
discredited what hundreds of credible people saw. The ad demands that the
government consider what they have to say. (A copy of the advertisement is
posted here.)

Mr. Irvine says he was approached by a security guard in the building who
told him he could not hand out information inside the building and would
have to leave. Irvine invoked his First Amendment right of free speech and
said that since it was a government building, he had the right to pass out
information. The guard consulted with his superiors and returned to say that
it was government-leased space in a private building, and Irvine would have
to leave.

Irvine again said that he had a right to free speech and to inform and
educate the public about what the eyewitnesses saw. He said that if they
wanted him out of the building, they would have to carry him out. He
thereupon sat down on the floor. Two security guards carried him out and set
him down on the sidewalk.

If the idea was to silence him or to keep the public from getting the
information, it didn't work. There were television cameras from six
different national stations, and Irvine explained to them what it is the
eyewitnesses want the American people to know. He also told them that his
expulsion proves that the government is trying to silence the eyewitnesses'

The accounts are very convincing. A national Guard helicopter pilot, flying
near Long Island Sound had an unobstructed view of the whole scene. He has
seen many missile tests and many detonations of high-explosive ordinance. He
says he saw the missile come up and strike TWA 800. He was so close that his
helicopter was on the scene before all the pieces rained into the ocean. He
then spent time searching the area for survivors.

A construction engineer nearby saw the flame trail of something he can best
describe as resembling a firework rocket rise up and explode in a blinding
white flash. A second orange explosion followed. The first detonation was so
violent that the 70-ton bridge he was building shook with the concussion.

A Navy officer on a plane 17,000 feet above TWA 800 saw a missile rise from
below and blow up. Almost immediately an explosion destroyed the passenger

More than a hundred other people around the area tell of similar sightings.
Private investigators have coordinated the locations from which they say the
saw the missile rise and have determined the probable launch site of at
least one missile.

The National Transportation Safety Board, the FBI and the CIA continue to
ignore the witnesses and to discredit their stories. Irvine's point is that
it makes no sense unless the government does not want the truth known.

Home - Last Updated: